Thursday, June 11, 2009

Blind Pilot- Three Rounds and a Sound

Every single time I make a pronouncement about the type of music I like and the type of music I don't, someone comes along and changes the way I think about a certain approach. One of my most steadfast beliefs is that an acoustic guitar alone cannot carry an album. In the "alone" part I may be right but Blind Pilot has shown me that an album of acoustically driven songs can be just as dynamic and interesting as Radiohead or Wilco.

First off, let me say that their album is vastly different from the live experience. On stage, these guys are able to make their mid-tempo numbers seem like break-neck speed metal (not really but their songs did seem more dynamic in their tempos live). On record, almost all the songs aim for and find their place in a sort of lazy, laidback rhythm that works really well. The percussion is really the only way to tell how fast a song is supposed to be.

The lead singer (whose name I don't know) has a high, resonant voice that really expresses emotions well (a little like a Jeff Buckley without quite such a range). The lyrics are thoughtful and engaging. The rest of the band brings in xylophones, banjos, trumpets and other instruments sparingly but enough to give each song its own flavor.

I almost never let a CD repeat in my player but I can't bring myself to take this one out. If you like chilled out acoustic americana, I recommend Blind Pilot.

Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment