Monday, May 25, 2009

I Kill Giants

Joe Kelly is best known to me as the guy who wrote "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice and the American Way" for a great issue of Action Comics. Out of that came Kelly's Justice League Elite and some okay super-hero comics. I have never read anything by him that has impressed me like his recently collected limited series "I Kill Giants."

The story is a pretty simple one, there is a middle school girl named Barbara who is picked on and left out because she loves Dungeons and Dragons. Also, she claims to kill giants. The comic this most closely reminds me of is the 90s series The Maxx. Barbara imagines little fairies and frightening harbingers of doom as common elements in her day to day life. As her acting out gets worse at school, Barbara befriends a new girl named Sofia who is sweet and open-minded. Perhaps because of a very similar development in Alex Robinson's Too Cool To Be Forgotten, the central mystery of the piece was pretty easy for me to figure out. The fun is in following Barbara's adventures and develoment as a journey rather than waiting for a big reveal.

If you like stories like The Fall or Radio Flyer, where kids use their imaginations to overcome adversity, I would recommend this trade.

Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment